I was asked by a journalist for my top tips for chemo treatment. You never know what’s going to be published, or if anything will end up in the paper…
So, here they are!
- Make sure you can get some gentle exercise while you’re undergoing treatment. The drugs can really take it out of you, but try and get out of the house whenever you can
- Ask questions about your treatment. What the different drugs do, what to expect and what you need to do. Try and take some responsibility for your own care.
- Wear comfortable clothes and bring something to read. You can spend all day in a chair, on a drip and it’s really boring.
- The cocktail of drugs can mess with your sleeping patterns, so get sleep whenever you can. These are unusual times, and it’s ok to fall asleep for a few hours on the sofa.
- It’s ok not to be yourself, just know these feelings will pass. The chemo drugs can mess with your emotions, and make you feel and act differently to those around you. They’ll understand.